Town History

Links

Contact

 

 

Town of Minturn Historical Photographs

 


Eva Myra, Florence Irene and George G. Booco were one of Minturn’s first homesteading families. Mrs. Booco became superintendent of schools in Eagle County; Mr. Booco donated more than half of his homestead to the Town of Minturn in 1904 for the town site.
 

Bill, Bernice and Pete Burnett as children behind their family’s barn. Courtesy of Bill Burnett.

The Payton family homesteaded near Minturn in the early 1880s. Circa 1899. Courtesy of the Eagle County Historical Society.
 
The Nelson Ranch House.
Courtesy of Lola Gustafson.

Minturn School Class of 1938 was known as “Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs” because Nina Ellis was the only girl to graduate that year. Pictured here with Ms. Ellis are Charles Schlegel, Bill Perry, John Porter, Junior Bowen, Bill Burnett, Edward Ruder and Herman Meek. Courtesy of Bill Burnett.
 
Minturn railroaders.
Courtesy of Bill Burnett.

The Minturn Merc was built in 1891 out of river rock. It housed a general store and dance hall for more than 75 years. It was located in the space between Chili Willy’s and the Minturn Country Club in downtown Minturn. Courtesy of the Eagle County Historical Society.
 
Minturn’s first school, built in 1890. Courtesy of the Eagle County Historical Society.

The Nelson Ranch House was located on Meadow Mountain, an sloping hillside that made Minturn the “Lettuce Capital of the United States” during the 1920s. Courtesy of Lola Gustafson.
 
Downtown Minturn circa 1914. Courtesy of the Eagle County Historical Society.

Panorama of Minturn circa 1935.
Courtesy of Bill Burnett.
 
Panorama of Minturn, showing the cinder block high school built in the 1940s. Courtesy of Lola Gustafson.

Minturn from above circa 1940. Courtesy of Lola Gustafson.
 

The Minturn Jail.
Courtesy of Lola Gustafson.

Stockyards at the Nelson Ranch.
Courtesy of Lola Gustafson.
 
Camp Hale.
Courtesy of Lola Gustafson.

A pack train travels up Notch Mountain southwest of Minturn. Courtesy of the Eagle County Historical Society.